Friday, February 12, 2010

I'm buying a used car from a private seller who told me I don't need a bill of sale from him? Is that true?

I live in Dallas, TX. The seller told me that, since it is a private sale, we do not need to fill out a bill of sale? The change of name on the car title (as well as specifying on it the price @ which it was sold) was enough? Is that true??I'm buying a used car from a private seller who told me I don't need a bill of sale from him? Is that true?
True, not necessary. But always good to have just in case.I'm buying a used car from a private seller who told me I don't need a bill of sale from him? Is that true?
That's true. A Bill of Sale is simply a kind of temporary proof of ownership (before the title transfer is completed) but it also documents the agreement between buyer and seller which might come in handy if there is a dispute and the case goes to Small Claims Court. It is a ';nice to have'; but not absolutely necessary, from a legal viewpoint.
I'm an Okie who has bought and sold several cars in TX. All you need is the back (or bottom section, I forget) filled out to transfer title. Get the signature of the seller notarized, and record an accurate odometer reading. Take this title, proof of insurance, and your money to the tag agent, and you'll be set.
When I sold my car in Plano, I just signed the title and gave it to the buyer. At the time, it was even an out of state title because I just moved from Michigan.





The price of the vehicle tells Texas what they need to tax the buyer for the vehicle.





As long as you're paying with a certified check with records and documentation, you're ok.
if there is sales tax you need to show the dmv how much you paid for the car so that you can pay the tax.


also, if something goes wrong in the first few days there may be laws that protect you, but not if you can't prove you actually paid for the car.


best bet - every time you have a transaction of any kind with anyone get stuff on paper - ie. contracts %26amp; bills of sale in writing


good luck
I would get a bill of sale which can then be notarized with.
yes that will work

No comments:

Post a Comment